Unit 1 Self-Directed Learning
Unit 1 Outcomes
- Define Self-Directed Learning
- Understand the principles, elements and stages of Self-Directed Learning
- Determine how self-directed you are as a teacher
- Explore how the Gradual Release of Responsibility Framework supports the Self-Directed model
What is Self-Directed Learning? Let's start out. Self-Directed Learning is one model of what we think of as personalized learning. You probably have heard the phrase self-directed learners when we consider a flipped classroom, a blended classroom or individualized instruction. Or maybe you have heard or read a similar phrase, like these:
Read & View
- View What is Self-Directed Learning?
- Read principals and elements of Self-Directed Learning
- Read the four stages of Self-Directed Learning (image above)
- View Gradual Release of Responsibility
- Activity 1 - Self-Directed Learning Examples
- Activity 2 - How Self-Directing Are You?
- Activity 3 - Defining Self-Directed Learning
- In your own words, describe Self-Directed Learning. Refer back to the notes you took on the videos and readings as evidence. Email your journal link to the class instructor with the subject Self-Directed Unit 1 Assignment 1. Be sure to include your name.
- In your own words, describe Gradual Release of Responsibility? How is it similar to Self-Directed Learning? How can it support the four stages of Self-Directed Learning? Add your reflection to your online journal. Email your journal link to the class instructor with the subject Self-Directed Unit 1 Assignment 2. Be sure to include your name.