Unit 5 Self-Directed Learning
- Revise a current lesson or design a lesson using the Gradual Release of Responsibility template
- Expand repertoire of online tools to support self-directed learning
- Use an online tool to support the Gradual Release of Responsibility instructional framework
Read & View
- View Improving Practice
- View Flip your Thinking
- View Alan November, Who Owns the Learning
- Read Ch. 2, Who Owns the Learning by Alan November
- Read Ch. 3, Who Owns the Learning by Alan November (optional)
- Read ch 6 Better Learning Through Structured Learning pp 125-129
- Activity 1 -View examples of Self-Directed Learning
1. Download this lesson template. Revise a lesson you're going to teach to include all the components of the Gradual Release of Responsibility model. The template and example are on pp 127-135. (You may also use a template of your own.) (You do not need to do a complete unit!) Use the rubrics on pp.138-141 and the questions within the template to help guide your lesson planning. This should be a lesson that you will be teaching. Revise a current lesson and show evidence of all the gradual release of responsibility components. Send your lesson plan to class instructor. Label your assignment Unit 5 Assignment 1. Be sure and include your name.
2. Create a teaching tutorial video or work with your students to create a tutorial. This can be a very simple tutorial of explaining one part of the lesson. (Make it short. No more than two minutes.) Use one of the video tools from Unit 4 (Screen-cast-omatic or Jing) or one of your own that you are familar with. Save your video as a mp4 file and send to the class instructor. Label your assignment Unit 5 Assignment 2. Be sure and include your name.