Hello and welcome to my online class providing tools and insight into the application of Project-Based Units within the context of Customized Learning. [Register Here] We will explore the basic tenets of Project-Based Units and how these units might operate within a customized medium.
There are many resources available that offer different views on the application and definition of Project-Based Units. My hope for this module is that you gain exposure to some contemporary thinking on Project-Based Units and are able to evaluate projects based on their strengths and weaknesses. You must also determine how your individual teaching style, the availability of resources, and opportunities for collaboration impact the implementation of Project-Based Units.
Project-Based Learning is spreading quickly and many educators are seeking it out to offer more meaningful and engaging lessons for their students. The traditional classroom where learning occurs in the vacuum of separate and distinct islands will soon be replaced by interconnected curriculums via authentic inquiry based learning experiences. There are many Project-Based resources available today. One of the goals for this class is to expose you to these resources and help you develop your own personal notion of Project-Based Lessons within the context of your own classroom.
- Purchase the Book: "Thinking Through Project-Based Learning: Guiding Deeper Inquiry" written by Suzie Boss and Jane Krauss.
- Identify the basic elements of a Project-Based Unit and evaluate how it might be used in supporting a student centered classroom
- Evaluate options for planning documents and decide on one to use as your test planning document to organize your Project-Based Unit
- Familiarize yourself with a new tech tool that will facilitate the customization of the Project-Based approach
- Recognize the elements that support and promote student inquiry and envision how they might be implemented with your students.
- Familiarize yourself with current brain research and how Project-Based Units support recent findings.
- Check out some Project-Based planning
- Explore a technology tool you might want to incorporate into your Project-Based process
- Familiarize yourself with assessment options within a Project-Based context.
- Analyze Rubrics related to performance tasks and project creation
- Familiarize yourself with technology integration options for the implementation of a Project-Based
- Review the recommended steps for Project-Based Lesson implementation
- Familiarize yourself with a sample LMS (Learning management system) for managing classroom Project-Based student data.
These online professional learning workshops are paid for by districts who join TIE Membership. We intentionally do not put it behind a firewall so anyone can peruse the materials. If you are using this for professional purposes, please contact TIE to join Membership.