Face to Face
February 9, 2018
- Updates on Empower & Science Matrix
- Delivery of instruction self reflection activity
- Professional learning growth reflection
- Next steps after considering data gathered
Overall, what is the most notable change or shift in the capacity (knowledge and skills) at your school since starting the journey with CL?
At your school, what resource and/or professional opportunity has been the most instrumental for acquiring new knowledge and skills essential for success in the CL environment?
Complete the next step reflection on the work plan
- Road Show
- TIE conference
- MCL Summit
November 10, 2017
Tracking student learning - a look at a possible tool
- Tracking Tools
Confirming the Depth of Learning
- Taking Learning to New Levels
- Think about the DOK in a different way
- Making Connections
- Josh's Assistance with Menus and Choice Boards
- Choice Boards
- Project Base Learning - This incorporates all levels of learning- last month's content below
- Tasks for Depth
- Competency Based Learning
September 15, 2017
What does authentic learning look like?
Authentic Learning topics:
- Project Based Learning
- Objective Development – Student Project Development
Development time and share out
What does authentic learning look like? Chalk Talk - small group, whole group
Authentic Learning Topics - Project Based Learning
- Authentic Learning- Steve Revington
- Five Keys to Rigorous Project Based Learning
- Essential Project Design Elements
- PBL Team Planning Guide
- Chart Paper Activity
- Student Interests
- Concepts and Issues Relevant to Henry Students
- Essential questions related to Interests, concepts, and Issues
- Potential Subject Areas
Explore the following Project Based Learning project resources. Select one that interests you and use the Essential Project Design Checklist to evaluate the project. Be prepared to share with your table.
- Sample: Harrisburg South Trying to Help Clean Oceans
- BIE: Existing Project Search Function
- BIE: PBLU
- BIE: Planning forms and sample projects
- Edutopia Project Learning: Models
- Life Practice PBL Cards (free sample cards)
- Essential Project Design Checklist (pdf)
Google Drive Examples:
- English: Seminar: From Fiction to Facts of Life | Project: “Free” to Explore the World?
- Biology: Seminar: Formation of Polymers | Project: What is SAD About Your Food
- Algebra:Seminar: Graphing Linear Equations | Project: Airline Travel
- Nonfiction Literature: Seminar: Boko Haram | Project: Human Rights
- Elem ELA: Seminar Say’s Who? Point of View | Analyzing Point of View in the Media
- ELEM SS: Seminar: Regions, What Holds Them Together? | Project: GPS - Can We Trust It?
Planning the Hook
Do: Fill out Hook in the Collaborative Planning Guide
Next Steps: Planning Document Initiation (calendar/project design guide)
- Calendar Planning Document (pdf)
- Project design overview planning guide (pdf)
- Student Handouts
- Teacher PBL Rubric
- Student PBL Rubrics
What If........ students developed their own projects based on objectives you set before them?
Project Based Learning books in TIE Reads!
Learner Agency Update:
April 7 - 8:30-2:00
How to Assess in a Customized Learning Environment
"How did formative assessment inform your instruction or decisions this week?"
- Henry Instructional and Assessment Strategies
- Instructional Strategies Online
- Instructional Strategies
- K20 Learn Instructional Strategies
- Learning Activity Types
- 60 Formative Assessment Strategies
- Good Assessment by Rick Wormeli
- Wormeli Symbaloo
Three Important types of assessment:
- Portfolios - Education World-Student Portfolios as an Assessment Tool
- Rubrics for tasks, projects, products, and presentations
- Student self-assessment
How to Assess in a Customized Learning Environment
- Defining Mastery
- Marking and Grading Practice Discussion
- Formative versus Summative Assessment
- Exploring Assessment Strategies
- Creating Rubrics, Checklists, and Student-Self-Assessments
Mastery is.... My students are literate in my subject when they........
- Marking and Grading Practices
- Effective Grading Practices in the Middle School and High School Environments
- Redoes and Retakes Done Right
- Stephanie on Plagarism V-9
- Ten Grading Approaches to Avoid
- What do we as a building or district need to change in our grading practices?
Structural Rebuild Team
January 20, 2017
Link to shared folder
Survey Data discussion
- How can we make sure our work goes beyond tweaking a structure and impacts instruction and student learning?
First look at Weight-bearing Wall barrier process
1) What could you do (different from current practice) if the barrier is no longer in the way?
2) Identify barriers that prevent you from doing this today.
3) What ways could you reduce/eliminate barrier?
First for 9-Month School Year
Now choose two more from the WBW Home page and do the process twice. (May be in groups or one group, depending on planning team size.)
Workplan (Using Workplan tab of the planning document.)
- Develop Outcome Statements and Activities
- Apply timelines and who's responsible
- Data for monitoring and evaluating
- Quality control
Day 1 - Morning
Introduction and discussion of Customized Learning
Introduction to CustomizedU
In what areas do you think we have a fixed mindset? or growth mindset?
Carol Dweck - Praise and its Affect on Student Growth
How Can Students Learn from Failure?
Other Resources for Implementing Mindset in the Classroom
Sherry's Pinterest Board