Unit 1 Learner Engagement
Read & View
- Read Chapters 1 & 2 of Eight Myths of Student Disengagement
- Myth 1: It's easy to tell who is engaged: what is engagement and how can I assess it in my classroom
- Myth 2: Some learners just don't care: How disengagement is more than just a lack of learner motivation
- Activity 0 - Preparation for recording learner engagement
- Activity 1 - Reflection Activity
- Activity 2 - Practice Activity
- Your assigned book Eight Myths of Student Disengagement has several "Stop and Reflect" sections to each chapter (see Activity 1 above). Choose one group of Stop and Reflect questions from chapters 1 or 2 and write 3-4 paragraphs of reflection. Your reflection should include the actual reflection topics/questions and reference some of your learning from the book on that topic. Email your synopsis to your class instructor with the subject Engage Unit 1 Assignment 1. Be sure to include your name.
- Your assigned book Eight Myths of Student Disengagement lists several examples of self-report engagement tools or observation tools (table 1.3 to 1.8). Create/modify your own version of an engagement measurement tool appropriate for your grade/content area (noting the comments in Activity 0). Enclose your engagement tool with 1-2 paragraphs explaining why you chose the items on the tool and email it to your class instructor. Label it Engage Unit 1 Assignment 2 and be sure to include your name.